Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Cup Runneth Over...

I wasn't going to comment on the election, but I feel as though I am missing out on this moment if I do not do so. I was sitting with Laura when Katie Couric suddenly announced Barack Obama as the 44th president of the United States. Tears immediately threatened to overflow from my eyes. I held in the tears and pretended like it was not a big deal because I was with Laura. However, if I had been alone I would have allowed the tears to flow. This was a dramatic reaction, but it felt like a dramatic and historic victory.

I have been a supporter of Obama for 4 years and I am in shock that what was once a dream has actually solidified into reality. I generally do not think of Barack Obama as a black man, rather I think of him as a politician who actually gives me hope in the system and makes me want to work together with others to improve the lives of Americans. However, when I heard the words, "Barack Obama is our 44th President," I could not help but note the historic significance for our nation and it was this that brought tears to my eyes. It was this that brought a lump to my throat as Barack, Michelle and the girls walked across that stage in Grant Park in front of a huge crowd of people; people of all colors who were cheering, crying and celebrating together.

(2008 was my third presidential election and I am so relieved that we are not re-counting and filing lawsuits with this one. It feels like the system works. Americans can choose one person in an election and then they can think for themselves and change their minds in the next election.)

1 comment:

RhubarbLady said...

Cousin Trisha here-I am happy to agree with you that it seemed liked this election worked and people made an effort to get out and vote. I was so glad to see that many people voting-we only wish more people had come out in the evening at our polling location since we were getting bored. I was also glad about most of the constitutional amendments passing.