Monday, September 15, 2008

Double the fun with Double Mint Gum

April, Hunter and the twins came over today so that April could do bookkeeping for my Dad while Mom watched the kids. I was home from work because I had not been feeling well, but I couldn't stay holed up in my room when I heard Kristen having a screaming fit. I thought that perhaps her head was going to start spinning around. Uncle Nielson attempted to calm Kristen, but the more any of us tried to get her to calm down, the more determined she was to keep screaming. Loryn, on the other hand, was totally calm and happy. For some reason they seem to know that only one of them can have a major-head-spinning fit at a time. I took Kristen to the basement so that she could at least see that her mother was close at hand and then she insisted that we play with my phone for the next half hour. While we played with my phone, I found that I have a sound recording thing on my phone and so I got Kristen to say words into my phone. Kristen and Loryn do not like to be human party tricks. Anytime we tell them to say something, they basically refuse. So I was super excited that Kristen actually said my name when I was prompting her with words to say into the phone. So, although she later pretended that she could not say my name, I have proof to the contrary recorded on my phone!

In our attempt to let April get a bunch of work done, Mom and I gave Loryn and Kristen a bath with bubbles. This went over okay, but their favorite part was when they got out of the bath and we wrapped them in Mom’s huge, fluffy towels. They would not let us take the towels off. Kristen was much better about this than Loryn, but once Kristen realized that Loryn did not want to get out of her big fluffy towel, Kristen decided that she also did not want to get out of her big fluffy towel (even though she was half dressed). In order to convince them to get dressed, I decided that we should go to the park. (At this point you should be shaking your head at my naiveté.) So we went to the park…Needless to say, it began by us running after the twins and ended with us carrying screaming twins out of the park. The middle was more of the running after twins and every so often checking to make sure that Hunter was also okay. When we got home, I had an epiphany… “Work is Wonderful” !!!!!!!! We handed the kids off to April and I practically sprinted to work.

Lessons Learned:
1) It is extremely hard to be 1 years old, especially when you know exactly what you want, but cannot communicate that to the big people that are around you because you do not have words!!

2) It is extremely hard to have 2 children who are both 1 years old and who cannot communicate effectively because they do not have words!!

3) It is extremely hard and exhausting to be April

4) I am a big wimp

2 comments:

RhubarbLady said...

Cousin Trisha-This happens whether its twins or just young children. I think you should have bribed them with gum from the title of your post. Then you could have seen more fun with young children and a sticky confection.

Catherine said...

Thank you for the encouragement. I need it some times. Okay, most of the time.